Woodbury, NY 10917
Provided by: Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets
The Town of Woodbury is in the eastern part of the county.
Real Estate listings in Woodbury
More Real Estate listings in Woodbury
The region was once called Woodbury Clove ("valley"). The Town of Woodbury was incorporated in 1889 (the town was originally created in 1863, but was dissolved soon afterwards).
The Town of Woodbury, which comprises the hamlets of Central Valley and Highland Mills; and the area which was formerly known as the hamlet of Woodbury Falls, was officially created on December 19, 1889, by an act of the Orange County Board of Supervisors. The first town meeting was held the following year on March 4th with John A. Patterson presiding as Supervisor. The second Supervisor was James Seaman. Even though the land is no longer used for farming, the Seaman family property can still be identified by a sign which reads “Sweet Clover Farm?along Route 32 on the northern end of town.
The Town of Woodbury was actually created twice - the first time in 1863 when the Board of Supervisors approved the division of Monroe into the three communities of Monroe, Tuxedo and Woodbury. Objections to this arose and two years later the Legislature was asked to overrule the Board's decision which it did by recreating the old Town of Monroe. In 1889 the Board of Supervisors reinstated the original separation and Woodbury was reborn.
Woodbury had gone through numerous geographic and name changes prior to its incorporation in 1889. Until 1764, the area was part of an enlarged Goshen. In that year, Goshen was divided into two parts with Woodbury becoming part of Cornwall. During the American Revolution, the area was shown on maps as Woodbury Clove. By 1799, Cornwall was also divided with Woodbury joining the present day Monroe and Tuxedo to become the Town of Cheesekook. This name was changed to Smithfield or Southfield and in 1808 became Monroe in honor of the newly elected United States President James Monroe. (The last sentence is per the legend, however, Thomas Jefferson was the President of the United States at the time (1808); James Madison served from 1817-1825 and is best known for the Monroe Doctrine. Some believe it was named in 1808 after a local family with a different spelling, and changed later to honor the President. Or maybe it is a typo and should be 1818.)
No one is quite sure of the derivation of the name “Woodbury.?Some say it may have come from the Dutch word wode for wood and meaning a dwelling place in the woods. Others claim that the many English families who settled here bestowed the name of a famous English family named Woodbury upon the area. As for the hamlets, Central Valley and Highland Mills were once called Lower Smith's Clove (clove meaning valley). Highland Mills was also known as Orange Post Office, but the residents changed it in 1824 with the present name most likely reflecting the watermills, flour and tannery businesses in the area. A map dated about 1790 shows Woodbury Falls as being called Smithfields. It may have later taken its name from the once lovely falls there. The First Cuban President Thomas Estrada Palma lived in Central Valley. Estrada Road was named in his honor
In addition to the flour and grist mills, the area's industry was dominated by a large tourism business as well as a famous fly rod (fishing rod) manufacturing business. Woodbury was the home to both the Payne Rod Company and the Leonard Rod Company.
The town's current major means of income comes from the attraction of visitors from around the world who come to shop at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, one of the largest outlet malls in the world. People visit the area from Japan, China, Europe, and the Americas. This large shopping boom in the area, which began in the 1980s, has inspired major construction projects including Wal-Mart, Home Depot, BJ's Wholesale Club, many chain restaurants, car dealerships, other retailers, as well as many other projects in the works. This has brought on much conflict and controversy with the local residents as well as the surrounding municipalities. Regardless, the Town of Woodbury is prospering and profiting from this new economic boom.
On August 11, 2006, residents voted overwhelmingly to incorporate all of the town save that portion in Harriman as the village of Woodbury, in order to better protect against annexations by the neighboring village of Kiryas Joel.
The town is adjacent to West Point, the United States Military Academy. Interstate 87 as well as NY 17 (future Interstate 86), and US 6 pass through the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 96.3 km?(37.2 mi?. 93.7 km?(36.2 mi? of it is land and 2.6 km?(1.0 mi? of it (2.72%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,460 people, 3,117 households, and 2,546 families residing in the town. The population density was 101.0/km?(261.6/mi?. There were 3,358 housing units at an average density of 35.9/km?(92.9/mi?.
There were 3,117 households out of which 46.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.9% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.3% were non-families. 15.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.8% had someone living idependently who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.39.
In the town the population was spread out with 30.9% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 31.4% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 96.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $79,087, and the median income for a family was $84,156. Communities and locations in Woodbury
- Central Valley -- A hamlet.
- Highland Mills -- A hamlet.
- Harriman -- Part of the Village of Harriman is on the south town line.